WILLIAM LEDEUIL

and

KEIKO NAGAE

The eyes of

Afalula AlUla Keiko Nagae
Afalula AlUla William Ledeuil

WILLIAM LEDEUIL

KEIKO NAGAE

Although William Ledeuil was originally destined to become a head of a company, it was fate that led him to FERRANDI Paris, the École Supérieure de Cuisine Française, in 1984.

He went on to learn the trade alongside Michelin-starred chefs before opening his first restaurant with his wife Marie-Christine in 2001.

He created a distinctive Asian-inspired cuisine featuring vegetables, citrus fruit and deep, delicate broths. A few years later, together with his wife, he opened Kitchen Galerie Bis (KGB) in 2009, followed by Kitchen Ter(re) in 2017.

Born in Japan, Keiko Nagae studied French language and culture in France. She simultaneously took pastry classes before being hired by Ladurée. In 2002, she joined Pierre Gagnaire in London as a pastry chef. Back in France, she worked with Yannick Alleno and then Michel Troisgros before joining Pierre Gagnaire in his restaurant in Paris.

In 2012, she set up her own company, AROME - Conseil en Pâtisserie, and has been involved in a number of gastronomic projects around the world.

William Ledeuil

Exploring AlUla is a truly amazing experience. It intertwines the beauty of its natural sites with that of its thousand-year-old historic sites. This exceptional landscape makes you want to immerse yourself in the heart of history to better understand the essence of the place.

I was delighted to discover the oasis gardens, a collaborative effort to promote biodiversity. The Citrus Festival is a must-see event in the region. It provides an opportunity to discover the wealth of locally-grown produce: fruits, vegetables and aromatic herbs.

Keiko Nagae

AlUla really leaves you speechless. It's a magical place. Before I came here, I could have never imagined the incredible richness of the produce grown in this oasis. And these magnificent landscapes with their infinite range of colours… It's a place that is both majestic and rejuvenating.

In Hegra, the monumental Nabataean tombs carved into the rock are a unique sight. The beauty of these tombs makes you wonder how this civilisation could have built such an exceptional site. AlUla is an incredibly rich region, and there is still so much to discover.

WHAT WERE

YOUR IMPRESSIONS WHEN YOU FIRST DISCOVERED ALULA?

William Ledeuil

Bénédicte and Michel Baches introduced us to a wide range of citrus fruit varieties. The oasis has a unique potential. Thanks to cooperation and exchanges, new varieties can be developed. I was also lucky enough to taste around ten different varieties of dates, another of the oasis' great treasures!

Keiko Nagae

I see great potential! At the moment, the produce is eaten fresh or pressed into juice. You can also find the fruit preserved, in jam form for example.

But there are plenty of processing possibilities that would optimise the preservation of the fruit and enhance its flavour.

Afalula AlUla agrumes

WHAT ABOUT

THE VARIETY

OF FRUITS

GROWN

IN ALULA?

IF ALULA

WERE A RECIPE...

William Ledeuil

If AlUla were a dish, it would undoubtedly be a yuzu and date marmalade. Yuzu is a marvellous Japanese citrus fruit that will be grown extensively in AlUla.

Keiko Nagae

I can imagine it being a very fresh dessert, with a variety of textures and the addition of local spices. It would combine all the varieties of citrus fruit you can find in the region!

I'm thinking of a new take on a vacherin, accompanied with a spiced citrus salad and orange blossom water ice cream, topped with an airy chantilly made from labne concentrate.

- Share -

GO TO AFALULA.COM

READ PREVIOUS ISSUES

Subscribe to the newsletter

News

IN BRIEF

News

IN BRIEF

The eyes of

KEIKO NAGAE and

WILLIAM LEDEUIL

The eyes of